One of the most common questions we get asked is “what type of fires do we respond to the most?” This week alone we had two small electrical related fires.
Overloaded outlets and the misuse of extension cords are common electrical issues that can cause a home fire.
Here are some basic steps to take to prevent such fires.
* Use as few cord adapters and extension cords as possible. Instead use a power strip that has a surge protector.
* Extension cords should only used for temporary use. They should not be tacked to walls or run under rugs.
* Small appliances, like the toaster should be unplugged when not in use.
* Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
* Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
* Never use extension cords with appliances. Plug them directly into wall outlets.