With winter storm Jonas well behind us and clean up starting to dwindle, we can finally update our community. During the storm members answered many calls, many which were EMS related. Brush 75 answered many of these calls with ease. The 5 ton truck was no match for the accumulated snow piles. Brush 75 was able to open up pathways and assit the squad. As darkness fell, MTVFC received a call to help two surgeons get into the hospital. Brush 75 responded and delivered both doctors without ease. We are very fortunate to have added this truck to our fleet and look forward to many years to come with it.
Engine 57 was dispatched to the local Wawa for a fuel spill. Engine 57 and Battalion 57 (Barker) went en route and received the report of a white work truck with a ladder on top spilled a large amount of fuel at the pumps while attempting to fill the vehicle. Upon arrival crews found approximately 5 gallons spilled on the ground. Crews contained the spill and turned the absorbent material over to Wawa to discard as per their company policy. Crews went available within the hour.
Engine 57 was dispatched at 7:12 PM with station 56 (Richland Township Fire & Rescue) for the fire alarm system. Upon arrival of Assistant 56 (Coughenour) it was determined that a sprinkler head was accidentally activated. He held the assignment to station 56 apparatus and recalled Engine 57. Engine 57 was available within 10 minutes of dispatch.
Crews were dispatched to a reported dwelling fire at 11:39 PM for the report of a smell of smoke from the basement with no flames seen and a heater running. Crew arrived on scene and investigated. Crews determined it was a malfunctioning oil burner. Crews ventilated and were available within the hour.
Chimney maintenance and proper cleaning are key steps to keeping your family safe and warm as the temperatures drop. Neglected chimneys accumulate creosote, a combustible byproduct of charred wood, along their walls. Add to that a high internal flue temperature and you've got a potentially dangerous chimney fire on your hands. The best way to avoid a house fire caused by the fireplace or chimney is to hire a professional chimney sweep to inspect for cracks and loose bricks. They will also clean your chimney.